Assess existing supply chain structure and processes to identify features of Logistimo to adopt and to define the scope of deployment.
The steps in the planning stage include the following:1. Identify deployment objectives. 2. Study supply chain landscape. 3. Define scope of deployment. 4. Perform an infrastructure adequacy assessment. 5. Prepare for deployment.
Identify deployment objectives
The first step in planning is to determine what the deployment seeks to achieve: what are the end objectives; what does a successful deployment look like?
With regard to supply chain objectives, most deployments primarily focus on achieving the objectives such as preventing stock outs, reducing material wastage, achieving sustainable cost and service levels, and so on. Each of these objectives could further be defined as specific metrics.
Based on the sector, challenges and scale of your product usage, the supply chain objectives to be achieved may vary from the basic ones mentioned above.
Study supply chain landscape
With a clear end-objective, the next step is to understand your existing supply chain landscape. Assessing your supply chain involves identifying the nature of the supply chain, the flow of materials, nodes in the supply chain and the infrastructure available at each of the nodes.The study can be divided into two steps:
Define scope of deployment
The objectives and supply chain study would need to be evaluated to determine the scope of the deployment. This is a crucial stage and would require all stakeholders to define a roadmap for the deployment.The steps in the scoping stage include the following:
- Identifying the challenges noted in the study that directly affect the objective.
- Mapping the supply chain to Logistimo’s product offerings.
- Finalizing the functions at different nodes that can be supported by Logistimo (managing inventory, managing orders/indents, monitoring temperature of materials, etc.).
Perform an infrastructure adequacy assessment
After defining the scope, an assessment of the current infrastructure needs to be performed against the requirements of minimum infrastructure required to adopt Logistimo.
An infrastructure requirements document can be used for performing this assessment.
Prepare for the deploymentBased on the defined scope, a detailed deployment plan with tasks, budget, and resources has to be created. This should include the following:
- Outlining the various activities associated with the deployment.
- Assigning timelines to each activity and allocating tasks.
- Allocating resources and costs to each stage under appropriate cost heads.
- Defining thresholds for each cost center and an approval matrix for expenditures above the threshold limits.